Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Walk This Way

I was driving up the road when in the distance I spied what looked like one of my sons.  Sure enough, as I got closer, I recognized the boy-become-man walking along the road, and I thought to myself "he walks just like his father".

I want that for my life. I want to walk like my Father.  As a mother, I have watched my children grow and change.  From those first mommy sighs of "he has your chin" to more recent cheers for diplomas, and jobs, and first apartments.  I believe God, our Father, does the same.  He cheers us on from our first wobbly steps in Him through all the seasons of life and faith.  He is looking at us, and hoping to see Himself in all that we do.  He is looking to see if we walk like our Father.

What does that mean, to walk like God? Does it mean that I try very hard to make my outward appearance God-like? Do I simply go to church, and say God-like things, and "look like" a follower of Christ? No, I think not.  My children have no clue that I see their daddy's gait when I walk behind them.  They are oblivious to it. It is just part of who they are. They could no more easily change that than they could change their size or the sound of their voices.  I believe that's what it means to walk like God. To follow Him with humility, not thinking about ourselves at all.  To be so focused on Him that we don't even realize that others see His reflection in us.  Praying that today, and each day ahead, brings you closer to that walk.

Micah 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Acts 17: 28 'For in Him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are His offspring'

Genesis 1: 27 "So God created man in His own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female He created them."


.

1 comment:

  1. I felt my father all around me today...and missed my Dad so very much too....thank you for this wonderful blog...ok, made me cry a little too.

    ReplyDelete