Saturday, April 21, 2012

Little Lesson: Homesick

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” --C.S. Lewis

There are some days I wake up longing for Home.  Not this home.  Not the sunny sky this morning.  Not my warm bed.  Home.  With my Creator.  In Eternity. 

 I look back on those days when I was a child, and I packed up my things and boldly set out to "sleep over" at a friend's.   What an adventure.  I was going out on my own.  We would spend the day playing outdoors, seemingly unsupervised (since we never managed to glance up at that parent at the window).  We felt very much like some sort of elementary school rebels, running free with no one to tell us what to do.  Up past bedtime,  eating hot dogs and brownies in the dark.  Then, exhausted, we would crawl into sleeping bags or a blanket tent, and there in the night,  in someone else's house,  I would lay crying for home.   How could that be?  I was having so much fun!  But,  I realized in that darkness, there was no one in the other room who knew me as their own,  no one to rescue me when I cried.  That "separateness" that I thought I wanted so badly left a canyon between me and where I would rather be.  It is the same in this life. Though I realize that I am cared for and loved here, there is no one here who knows me as well as the One in Whose Home I belong.  

There are those who would argue that there is no life after this one. That there is no God, and there is no Heaven or Hell.  That there is only here, and then the grave.  I find that to be such a sad existence.  Such a lonely existence,  separate from the loving God who spent time knitting us in our mother's wombs.  He who knows the number of hairs on our heads,  our most intimate thoughts, and Who waits for us to come back to Him, much the same as my parents waited for me to come back from those sleepovers.   Wishing me to be separate to become who I was created to be, yet waiting patiently for me to return.  Watching at the window for me to come back up the driveway.  My Father who is waiting to see my feet walk up that street of gold.  He is waiting for you, too. 

John 14:2 "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you.  3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." 

2 Corinthians 5:1-8  "1 For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down -- when we die and leave these bodies -- we will have a home in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long for the day when we will put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will not be spirits without bodies, but we will put on new heavenly bodies. 4 Our dying bodies make us groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and have no bodies at all. We want to slip into our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by everlasting life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit. 6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. 7 That is why we live by believing and not by seeing. 8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord."

An oldie but a goodie...Petra "Not of This World"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhPVOyzZBqk

Praying today that you will find your way Home.






No comments:

Post a Comment